Re: GSoC 2020 - JSON encoding/decoding

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020 - JSON encoding/decoding
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 19:12:00 +0900

On 2/23/20 9:56 AM, ahmed El-Shreif wrote:

> Hello Mr.Kai,
>
>     Did you already succeed with building the Octave sources?
>
> Yes I done this already.
>
>     There is a list of easy bugs in the Octave wiki [1] to start with.
>     You can also
>     look out at Octave's bug tracker for bugs that are interesting for you.
>
> I take look on them But can you recommend one for me that is easy enough
> for a beginner and let me understand code around the project.
>

>     Otherwise play around with Octave, change what you do not like and ask
>     for help if you get stuck somewhere.
>
> Or can you give me a task that I work on it to give me good intuition
> about the project?
>
> Thanks,
> Shiko

Shiko,

Unless you are discussing something private with me, please keep the
maintainers mailing-list in the CC.  This might feel a bit weird in the
beginning.  The benefit is, you get faster replies, if I was not able to
answer for a longer time, and often you receive really valuable
comments, as here are many very experienced developers and users around.

Basically you should work on what you are interested to do.  If I give
you a task I have to guess what you like and what you are good at.  You
want to work on a JSON implementation, thus are you interested in
String-processing?  In this case I can suggest you to review the
implementation of "contains" [1] and adapt it to the Octave code
guidelines [2] and add BIST [3].

Best,
Kai

P.S. My first name is "Kai", my family name "Ohlhus".

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?56065
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_style_guide
[3] https://wiki.octave.org/Tests