Re: character matrix inputs to string functions

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: character matrix inputs to string functions
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 14:55:36 -0500

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:28 PM Andrew Janke <address@hidden> wrote:

I don't think there's a big Matlab compatibility concern - things that
throw errors aren't really functional space that Matlab is claiming and
that is likely to be used in user code. So it's unlikely that defining
useful behavior here would break any user code.

i agree, absent some need for it to error, there's no reason we can't keep extended function.  i can think of little reason for someone to want a replace operation on a string in a columnwise fashion. Char arrays like that are generally built 'horizontally' when they're representing strings in the first place, and a string replace would follow suit.  Unless I'm missing something, in which case there could be a 'colunmwise' flag that dosen't preserve size , but that sounds like a headache.