Re: Open Source Hackathon Mentorship Invitation

From: Misha Patel
Subject: Re: Open Source Hackathon Mentorship Invitation
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 00:17:08 -0600

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response! We do start emailing our list of contacts as early as September. Unfortunately, I only discovered this mailing list, along with many others, through the Google Summer of Code website very recently. Next year, we'll be sure to reach out much earlier! If you're interested, I can add you to our list of contacts so that you receive a personal invitation next year.

Hope to see you and other GNU Octave developers as mentors at HackIllinois 2021!

Best,
Misha

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:20 PM Andrew Janke <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2/18/20 1:42 PM, Misha Patel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Misha Patel and I’m reaching out on behalf of the
> HackIllinois Outreach team. HackIllinois is a 36-hour collegiate Open
> Source hackathon that takes place annually at the University of Illinois
> Urbana-Champaign. This year, it will be from February 28th-March 1st,
> 2020. Our mission is to introduce college students to Open Source, while
> giving back to the community. We strive to create a collaborative
> environment in which our attendees can learn from and work with
> developers to make their own contributions. In past years, we’ve had
> developers from prominent projects such as npm, Rust, and Apache come to
> mentor students from our pool of 900+ attendees.
>
> We’d love it if you could pass along this message to the GNU Octave
> community or any individuals you believe would be interested. We will
> provide meals throughout the event and can reimburse for travel and
> lodging up to a certain amount depending on where in the US people are
> coming from. More information on mentorship can be found at
> hackillinois.org/mentor <http://hackillinois.org/mentor>. You can also
> visit opensource.hackillinois.org <http://opensource.hackillinois.org>
> to see what kinds of projects were represented at our event last year.
>
> We'd be more than happy to discuss this further. Please have any
> interested individuals contact us at address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>. Looking forward to hearing back!
>
> Best,
> Misha Patel
> HackIllinois 2020 Outreach Director
> address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>

This sounds like a great event, but way too short notice for me, I'm
afraid. I'd need a couple months advance notice to participate in
something like this, and that's probably true for other professionals,
or anyone else who needs to plan travel in advance. Catch me next year!
And do send notice earlier, if you can.

Cheers,
Andrew