Re: Octave on Windows takes a long time to start & run.m reloads Of pack

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Octave on Windows takes a long time to start & run.m reloads Of packages
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 14:15:31 -0500

> Q.: Can anybody confirm this?

I have noticed a few times in the last couple weeks that Octave (5.1.0
on Windows 10) takes a long time (a minute or more) to load. But it
seems inconsistent, and I'm on a managed system, so rarely had a
reason to try to pin it on octave. Would be nice to learn that it is
related to an Octave side sensitivity that could be eliminated

> Q.: If confirmed, what is the cause, and does Octave work as it should?

that said, any time i do notice the delay, I have noticed no problems
running octave when it finally comes up. I have no idea at this point
how to try to pinpoint any cause when it does come up, if it would be
repeatable enough to debug somehow.  again, managed system, so admin
side things like event viewer aren't generally available without
external intervention. (not a time investment i'm keen on).

only other delays I've notice in Octave are when changing folders it
can sometimes take a very long time for octave to respond as (I
believe) the file browser window parses the file list in a large
folder.  This is much longer than the native file browser (from, say,
a Save As in the Editor) takes to do the same thing. I expect this is
a separate issue, and hasn't been annoying enough for me to raise it
to bug level concern.