Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 11:50:47 -0800

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 07:41:31 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> Yes, I did this change before to avoid Octave's typical: "We have
> released but forgotten to update the date/version number in document X"
>
>    https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c2e6725987ce
>
> which is for example now part of our official Octave 5.1.0 tarball and
> happened quite often in the pas in the heat of the release.

Thank you, I understand. Those kinds of mistakes are indeed problems.
However, I hope we can continue to improve the release process so that
this kind of thing is no longer something to worry about.

> Personally I think we can tag any commit as 5.2.0.  There a always small
> things one easily forgets.  For me a commit like
>
>    https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d9316571d91
>
> is totally enough to identify a release.

Well, yeah, the 'hg tag' command always creates a new commit, but it
assigns the tag to a previous revision. The commit you point isn't the
release, it created a tag for version 5.1.0 on this commit

  https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/d05d6eebde10

which is exactly what I would have hoped to see for this release as
well.

Personally, I would prefer that the stable branch builds version 5.1.91
or 5.1.92 until a single commit changes the version to 5.2.0, followed
by a commit that tags it, followed by another that changes the version
to 5.2.1. This is how we decided to do it starting with version 5.1.0.

For example, this sequence of commits for version 5.1.0 updated the
version, tagged the release, and updated the version again

  https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d27954485ed

--
mike