Re: [OF] package root level Makefile

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: [OF] package root level Makefile
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 20:10:44 +0100

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:07:22PM +0100, Matthias W. Klein wrote:
> Dear Olaf,
>
> which is the most recent and recommended package root level Makefile? I
> know of [1] and [2] (which are virtually identical); is there - by
> chance - a different place with an even newer file?
>
> I would like to make sure to base some tests I plan, for the ocl package
> repository re-arrangement, on the latest recommended Makefile. (I have
> some ideas how to combine the maintenance targets of my existing
> Makefile and the standard Makefile, based on 'addpath' and 'autoload'.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> [1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/templates/Makefile
>
> [2]
> https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/example-package/ci/default/tree/plain-package/Makefile

Hi Matt,

[1] (above) should be more or less up-to-date. People tend to adapt
the Makefile or even use their own one (with the same targets,
please). This one makes package installations in a separate tree, not
messing up system-wide and per-user installations, but some people
don't like that. And there are still problems with installations for
different Octave versions, since pkg() seems unable to correctly
handle them in the same local tree (but it can handle them in
system-wide installations).

A further problem is with __run_test_suite__, which seems to be broken
(for usage in the package Makefile) for recent Octave versions IIRR.

Olaf