Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:06:46 -0600

On 1/16/20 9:26 PM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

side question: now that w32 is fading into antiquity, what are the drawbacks to having w64-64 just become the default build for w64?

As stated previously, the default is to build with 64-bit indexing on 64-bit systems. It is only the BLAS and other Fortran libraries that are an issue. We provide Windows binaries with 32-bit and 64-bit BLAS because we are building all the dependencies for those binary distributions. But for Linux, the default system BLAS libraries are still using 32-bit integers. If those change, then the Linux distributions could start to distribute fully 64-bit aware versions of Octave as well.