Re: Octave should create a forum

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 06:24:27 +0100

I think I would vote for something widely used like phpBB because of the multiple add-ons which allow eg. busy threads to pop up on the homepage, announcements, polls etc.

I ran a phpBB site 15 years ago for a customer, from my home, it took about an hour to get it working. I expects it could be deployed on a Raspberry Pi these days.

A mistake NOT to make is to deploy it on the same hardware as maintainer email or software archives, because if either of those go down the forum would be the place to discuss bringing things back to normal,

Edmund

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 3:22 AM Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1/9/20 5:52 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:> On Tue, 2019-12-31 at
11:02 -0600, GoSim wrote:

>> A real forum,
>
> I really like Dfeed. It's what powers the D forums, and it's also
> simultaneously a mailing list, a usenet (hah) and an IRC frontend.
>
> Here it is in action:
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/

This looks really nice and I added it to the list:

   https://wiki.octave.org/Forum_for_GNU_Octave

In their GitHub repository I did not find the install requirements.  But
I think you need to compile it using the D language, or maybe cross
compile it for the server?  Do you have a link how to deploy DFeed or
own experience?

Kai