Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 11:58:20 +0900

On 12/11/19 4:06 AM, Rik wrote:
> On 12/10/2019 04:38 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
>> Am 10. Dezember 2019 um 11:58 Uhr schrieb "Kai Torben Ohlhus":
>>> My personal expectation is no 6.1 release before February 2020 [3].  But
>>> as 5.1.0 is already long time ago, I vote for another 5.2.0 stable
>>> release before Christmas, followed by efforts to release 6.1.0.  On the
>>> stable branch, there are
>>>
>>>    hg log -r "release-5-1-0:" -b stable | grep "changeset" | wc -l
>>>
>>> 104 more or less important changes accumulated over 10 months users are
>>> waiting for.  This stable release does not need that much effort [1], as
>>> it is stable, and I can prepare the stable branch for 5.2.0.  Opinions?
>> I personally don't know how I feel about a 5.2 release. There probably are
>> bugs in the stable branch that haven't been there in Octave 5.1 and that
>> have been fixed on the development branch only (e.g. bug #55908 [1]).
>>
>> We are not many developers. So I don't know whether we shouldn't better
>> spend our limited time to get the default branch ready instead of fixing
>> issues on the soon to be deprecated current stable branch.
>>
>> But I won't hold anyone back if we agree on delaying Octave 6 for another
>> dot release.
>
> A new stable release should be very easy and thus not distracting for core
> developers.  I have no objection if we do it, nor any strong leaning to do
> it.  If it exposes new bugs, they will be fixed by the the 6.1 release in
> another month or so.
>
> --Rik

jwe and other developers, what do you think about a stable release?  I
think to be able to manage most steps of the release by myself, not
binding additional development power.  Stable is stable, just updating
dates and version numbers, that's it.  All work remains on Octave 6.1
beginning of 2020.

Kai