Re: Plans for Octave 6.1 release

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Plans for Octave 6.1 release
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 13:38:37 +0100

Am 10. Dezember 2019 um 11:58 Uhr schrieb "Kai Torben Ohlhus":
> My personal expectation is no 6.1 release before February 2020 [3].  But
> as 5.1.0 is already long time ago, I vote for another 5.2.0 stable
> release before Christmas, followed by efforts to release 6.1.0.  On the
> stable branch, there are
>
>    hg log -r "release-5-1-0:" -b stable | grep "changeset" | wc -l
>
> 104 more or less important changes accumulated over 10 months users are
> waiting for.  This stable release does not need that much effort [1], as
> it is stable, and I can prepare the stable branch for 5.2.0.  Opinions?

I personally don't know how I feel about a 5.2 release. There probably are bugs
in the stable branch that haven't been there in Octave 5.1 and that have been
fixed on the development branch only (e.g. bug #55908 [1]).

We are not many developers. So I don't know whether we shouldn't better spend
our limited time to get the default branch ready instead of fixing issues on
the soon to be deprecated current stable branch.

But I won't hold anyone back if we agree on delaying Octave 6 for another dot
release.

Markus

[1]: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?55908