Re: Texinfo and error messages

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Texinfo and error messages
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 09:35:51 -0700

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 18:18:43 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> I think *any* of those choices are better than using @result/nothing...

I agree.

> Counterpoint: suppose we wanted to show *all* of the syntax error message in
> some docs; it would look like:
> ```
> error→ parse error:
> error→
> error→   syntax error
> error→
> error→ >>> 1 + (1 + 1))
> error→                ^
> ```
> That's quite a wall!  If I can have a pony, I'd ask for @error to make
> output like @print, but with the "⊣" symbol rendered in red:
>
> ```
> ⊣ parse error:
>
> ⊣   syntax error
>
> ⊣ >>> 1 + (1 + 1))
> ⊣                ^
> ```
> But I don't think we get that level of control (right?)

Right, the typographic conventions are part of Texinfo itself, no
customization. I don't really like the "error→" rendering, it's
especially bad for multi-line errors as you've shown.

Using @print seems preferable for multi-line errors, even if we can't
have it in red. And if we prefer @print for multi-line errors, shouldn't
we also use it for one-line errors to be consistent?

--
mike