Re: [octave forge] releasing and template Makefiles

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: [octave forge] releasing and template Makefiles
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 20:56:00 -0400

On 2019-03-14 5:49 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
Can that process be templated on the octave wiki, so that a pkg maintainer can copy the template, label for the candidate release, announce it with a link to maintainers@, and then non admons could help with parts and note status back to the wiki?

 > Easier to just paste it into the release tracker bug as a comment?
 >
> Put the text of checklists on the wiki and then reviewers can copy-paste it and fill in some check boxes...  [x], [n/a], [F], etc

Oops forgot to reply-to-list.  Anyway, I put my money where my mouth is started:

https://wiki.octave.org/Reviewing_Octave-Forge_packages

Please help flesh that out...

Colin

Here's something that might be useful:

I've written a function to install and test all Octave Forge packages, testify.install_and_test_forge_pkgs, in my experimental Testify package. https://github.com/apjanke/octave-testify. This could be used in testing packages, or to validate the development Octave code against existing Forge packages.

To use it:

pkg install -forge doctest
pkg install https://github.com/apjanke/octave-testify/releases/download/v0.2.0/testify-0.2.0.tar.gz
pkg load testify
testify.install_and_test_forge_pkgs

Mike, it includes doctest support, but it's disabled by default due to some errors it's throwing. I'll submit a bug/patch to doctest shortly.

Here's results for the 3 major OSes:

macOS: https://github.com/apjanke/octave-testify/files/2975787/octave-testify-ForgePkgTester-2019-03-17_17-53-30.zip Linux: https://github.com/apjanke/octave-testify/files/2975883/octave-testify-ForgePkgTester-2019-03-17_16-07-51.zip Windows: https://github.com/apjanke/octave-testify/files/2975938/octave-testify-ForgePkgTester-2019-03-17_19-27-37.zip

The results include the test log itself, summary results, and captured build logs for package installations which had configure/make components.

Here's what the state of the world looks like on Linux (an Ubuntu Xenial box with basic libs installed):

========  PACKAGE INSTALL AND TEST RESULTS  ========

Tested 67 packages in 47:32
Packages tested (67): instrument-control arduino fpl splines msh bim bsltl cgi control signal communications io statistics struct optim data-smoothing database dataframe dicom divand doctest econometrics fem-fenics financial fits ga general generate_html geometry gsl image image-acquisition interval level-set linear-algebra lssa ltfat mapping miscellaneous mpi mvn nan netcdf ncarray nurbs octclip octproj optics optiminterp parallel quaternion queueing secs1d secs2d secs3d sockets sparsersb stk strings symbolic tisean tsa vibes video vrml windows zeromq

Packages passed (32):
instrument-control fpl bim bsltl cgi io statistics dataframe divand doctest financial general generate_html geometry lssa ltfat mapping mvn nurbs octclip optics optiminterp quaternion queueing secs1d secs3d sockets stk symbolic vibes windows zeromq

Skipped tests on known-bad packages (2):
  control
  level-set

Failed package installations (28):
  signal