Re: str2func

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: str2func
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 02:09:58 -0400

On 3/13/19 1:42 AM, c. wrote:

Hi,

In the development branch str2func works with any string

f = str2func ("_5yVNhWVJWJn47RKnzxPsyb_")
f = @_5yVNhWVJWJn47RKnzxPsyb_

while in the stable release it returns an error if the string does not name an
existing function

f = str2func ("_5yVNhWVJWJn47RKnzxPsyb_")
error: @_5yVNhWVJWJn47RKnzxPsyb_: no function and no method found

Is this intended, or is it a bug?

If it is intended, there are a few places where str2func is used to
check whether a string is the name of a function (for example ode45, ode15i,
...)
which should be fixed.

If this is not intended I'll submit a bug

It's intentional, for compatibility with Matlab. There are a few bug reports about it. But I was fixing a different bug when I also fixed the problem with str2func.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=52568
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=31821

Why do you need to check?

Also, I would strongly recommend that people use function handles, not simple names in character strings.