Re: [GSoC Mentors] Announcing Season of Docs 2019

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [GSoC Mentors] Announcing Season of Docs 2019
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:48:53 -0400

On 3/12/19 11:31 AM, Rik wrote:

Absolutely.  We don't have comprehensive documentation of the classdef interface.  The old @class format *is* documented, but hardly anyone uses that.

I'd like to see the documentation that describes the visual functions all have at least one example image.  For example, the colormaps are described in words, but that is really no help at all.  You need to see what a colormap looks like.  An easy thing to do would be to run the colormap demo #1 and display that image in the documentation.  That might be more of a coding project, than a technical writer's project though.

I'd like to see separate documentation for plot markers and line styles so that something like "help linestyle" would return something.  And then I'd like the graphics documentation reviewed and cross-references to this documentation place in the manual. Currently, we often say something like "See @code{plot} for a description of marker and line styles".

All of these things would be great to have. We must be sure that any contributor is not plagiarizing Matlab docs.

If we have someone working on liboctave documentation, then we probably want to be sure they are documenting interfaces that we really want to keep. So part of this work might also be to determine whether the interfaces are "good".