Re: Finishing up 5.1.0 release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Finishing up 5.1.0 release
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 09:10:27 +0100

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 12:34 AM Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
jwe,

I added the new release version 5.1.0 to the list of possibilities on the
Savannah bug tracker, and also removed the two release candidate versions
5.0.90 and 5.0.91.  I also added '+' to the OCTAVE_API_VERSION on the
development branch so that .oct files will not be compatible with the
stable release.  I checked off all items which have been completed at
https://wiki.octave.org/5.0.0_Release_Checklist#5.0.0_Release_Tasks.  It
seems the only thing left is to update the website, i.e., announce that the
latest version is 5.1.0 on the blog, update the documentation link to point
to version 5.1.0 of the HTML manual and version 5.1.0 of the PDF documentation.

--Rik

If no one is faster, I update the documentation (HTML, PDF) and Doxygen in a few minutes.

Regarding the release announcement, if you write a text jwe, I can put it to the website.  Otherwise, I can write a "default announcement":

> GNU Octave version 5.1.0 has been released and is now available for download. An official Windows binary installer is available. For macOS see the installation instructions in the wiki.
>
> This major release improves compatibility with Matlab and contains many new and improved functions. A list of important user-visible changes is available by selecting the Release Notes item in the News menu of the GUI or by typing news at the Octave command prompt.
>
> Thanks to the many people who contributed to this release!

Maybe we can highlight a few outstanding changes.  For example to my knowledge, Octave 5.1.0 improved the plotting a lot.  Some advertisement can be to run "compare_plot_demos" again?

Best,
Kai

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2019-01/msg00177.html