Re: Build a portable linux binary?

From: roland65
Subject: Re: Build a portable linux binary?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 11:02:24 -0600 (CST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> Also, the point of mxe-octave was initially to build Octave for Windows.
>   Using it to build for Linux systems was something that happened later,
> and only because I needed a way to build Octave and all dependencies on
> systems like RHEL 5 that didn't have compilers that were new enough to
> build Octave and that also lacked the necessary dependencies as
> packages.

I understand the point. However, the Scilab team probably has the same
problems but they distribute a common binary for all Linux distributions
(it's only a tar.gz archive and there is no need to be root for running
Scilab). I think they also have many dependencies like Octave...

Perhaps, it could be interesting to know how they do?