Re: MPI and private methods in octave::load_save_system

From: kingcrimson
Subject: Re: MPI and private methods in octave::load_save_system
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 07:30:02 +0100

> On 17 Feb 2019, at 20:46, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 05:29:26PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
>>  write_header
>>  save_binary_data
>>  read_binary_file_header
>>  read_binary_data
>
> Only as a side note, for data exchange involving only code of a single
> package, it should be possible to do without the above, as e.g. in
> current parallel package:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/parallel/ci/default/tree/src/minimal-load-save.cc
>
> Olaf

Olaf,

Indeed, extracting the code that has been made private in core
and duplicating it in the package is a solution, but I really
wanted to avoid this.

Also, as far as I remember, there is no reliable way of exporting
C++ headers and libraries from one package so that others can
use it, so if multiple packages use this functionality the code
must be duplicated multiple times.

I think having a public API to do this in core is the best solution,
even more so if the same code is in multiple packages.

c.