Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Wiki : Octave for GNU/Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 11:18:07 -0800

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 13:19:58 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> $ sudo flatpak run org.octave.Octave
>

> octave:1> pkg install -forge -verbose control
> warning: creating installation directory /app/share/octave/packages
> warning: called from
>     install at line 30 column 5
>     pkg at line 437 column 9
> error: could not create installation directory: Read-only file system
> error: called from
>     install at line 33 column 7
>     pkg at line 437 column 9

I think the problem here is that you are running as root. Don't use sudo
to run Octave.

You can install flatpak applications system-wide or per-user.

System-wide:

    sudo flatpak install flathub org.octave.Octave

Per-user:

    flatpak install --user flathub org.octave.Octave

But you should always run it as a normal user:

    flatpak run org.octave.Octave --gui

The problem with root is that Octave's pkg function assumes packages
will be installed system-wide if root is running Octave. But in flatpak
the application root directory /app is read-only by design.

> The control package is very popular package.
> (I use signal package and signal package requires control package)

After fixing the above you should definitely be able to install control
and signal easily as a normal user.

Does that help?

--
mike