Re: --norc option and test suite

From: Rik
Subject: Re: --norc option and test suite
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 08:56:10 -0800

On 02/07/2019 05:44 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Re: RC2 / 5.0.91
From:
Mike Miller <address@hidden>
Date:
02/07/2019 01:08 AM
To:
address@hidden
Message:
4

On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 02:39:57 -0600, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
While it's preferrable to have immune tests right away, perhaps we can avoid
it temporarily in e.g., __run_test_suite__.m by first saving all system/user
settings/prefs, setting all prefs to default state, run the test suite, and
then restore all user/system settings/prefs.
Octave already has the --norc option to prevent loading all system and
user startup files. I think what you're suggesting is covered by that.
If a user wants to run the test suite without any system or user
preferences changing behavior, they can run Octave with --norc.

If a certain test passes with --norc and fails without it, then we can
find the cause and fix that specific test.
We already do this for 'make check'.  The file run-octave is called with the --norc option.  See test/module.mk and "define run-octave-tests".

This very likely showed up on a Windows machine where the protocol is 1) start Octave, 2) execute __run_test_suite__.

Maybe we could include a Windows .bat or .vbs file with some long name like "do_octave_make_check" (so that it isn't accidentally invoked) which does the same thing as the Linux environment and starts octave with --norc.

--Rik