Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 155, Issue 1

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 155, Issue 1
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 10:03:39 -0500

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 6:22 AM John Donoghue <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/1/19 2:50 AM, address@hidden wrote:

gui starts by default now, so you want to create cmdline octave
shortcut, you would need the --no-gui option, otherwise no additional
options are required.

ok, do we recall at what version this changed back? The current instructions say it was the other way for 4.4.0. Maybe should tidy that up for posterity before moving it over to the [outdated] page.   Will add a note about optionally creating a --no-gui shortcut if a CLI only one is desired, and then have that be the instruction set for v5 when it goes live.

> 2 - there is no more 'octave.bat' file, only octave.vbs. assuming this to
> be correct, reference the .bat can be removed for starting octave.
There is a bat file, how was moved to bin directory

ok, will still remove reference to the bat for purpose of making manual shortcuts.

> 3 - After using the executable installer, there's nothing else for the user
> to do except use the shortcuts created for him/her, correct? (Looking for
> confirmation, I only even use the zip archives...)
Correct

Does the exe still make both gui and cli shortcuts?

post-install is what is run from the installer after installation, so
probally should be what is run at after unzipping. It registers the
msys2 environment, calls the fc_cache, and does the pkg rebuild

octave-firsttime.vbs is called from the installer when run octave checkbox is checked - its only needed in the installer, as it needs to run octave as the unelevated user.

cmdshell.bat will display a bash shell window

ok, will plan to update the instructions to just say 'run the post-install' once after unzipping, since it takes care of everything including the pkg rebuild that we kept getting help requests about.