Re: texinfo errors

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: texinfo errors
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 13:53:02 +0100

Rik wrote:
On 01/04/2019 01:55 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Subject:
Finding texinfo errors in OF package docs
From:
PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden>
Date:
01/04/2019 01:42 PM

To:
address@hidden

7bit
Message:
6

Hi,

During trial installations of OF mapping package several texinfo errors are
reported along these lines:

:
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced {
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-IEvLoR:126: misplaced }
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-HwNhIo:167: @itemx not
meaningful inside address@hidden'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:147: @itemx not
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-zB6z2B:165: @itemx not
meaningful inside address@hidden'
 block
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-bkikP8:141: @bye seen before
@end deftypefn
C:\Users\philip\AppData\Local\Temp\octave-help-JbGWy4:117: unknown command
`deftypefx'
For information about changes from previous versions of the mapping package,
run 'news mapping'.
Obviously I'd like to fix those errors but there's no clue as to which
function files the error messages belong, and the mentioned (temporary)
files disappear as soon as texinfo is done with the function files, i.e.
faster than I can lock them with e.g., a text editor.
IOW, these error messages are by no means helpful.

Any hints on how I can get more info about what texinfo errors to fix in
which function files?

Thanks,

Philip
Try temporarily modifying your copy of scripts/help/__makeinfo__.m.
Specifically, comment out line 154 where the temporary file is deleted.

  unwind_protect_cleanup
    if (exist (name, "file"))
      #delete (name);
    endif
  end_unwind_protect

Then re-run.

Unfortunately, that didn't help; having %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Temp open in an explorer (file browser) window I saw all __makeinfo__.m generated temp files being created and then deleted, one by one. Why that happened in spite of commenting out L.154 is beyond me.

My solution was changing L. 120 where the temporary files are generated. Setting the last input arg to "false" w/o quotes) the temp files are kept:

  unwind_protect
    ## Write Texinfo to tmp file
    template = "octave-help-XXXXXX";
    [fid, name] = mkstemp (fullfile (tempdir, template), false);
    if (fid < 0)
      error ("__makeinfo__: could not create temporary file");
    endif
    fprintf (fid, "%s", text);
    fclose (fid);

Thanks again, your hint surely did help to get further.

Philip