Re: octave-gsl 2.1.1 released

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: octave-gsl 2.1.1 released
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 14:47:32 +0200

Le 23/06/2018 à 14:25, Julien Bect a écrit :
Hi all,

A new release of the gsl package for Octave is out (version 2.1.1).

This is a minor release, which removes a bunch of deprecation warnings introduced by Octave 4.4.

Package managers having to deal with deprecation warnings such as octave_value::is_real_type -> octave_value::isreal might be interested in this particular file :

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/gsl/ci/tip/tree/src/configure.ac.in

which shows how both recent and ancient versions of Octave can be supported using autoconf.

Disclaimer : I have very limited experience with autoconf, so this might not be the best way to do it.  Advice from experimented autoconf-ers most welcome.

-----

On a different topic : I always found it weird to have a package simply named "gsl", since gsl (or GSL) is also the name of the underlying library.

This introduces confusion between the library release number and the package release number.  For instance, I have just compiled gsl 2.1.1 using gsl 2.5...

We also sometimes end up having a tarball for the octave package with the same name as the one for the library...

I suggest to rename the octave package from "gsl" to "octave-gsl" to avoid this confusion...  (This is already the name of the corresponding Debian package, for instance.)

@++
Julien