Re: bad mod function

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: bad mod function
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 13:07:24 -0400

> On Jun 19, 2018, at 12:36 PM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> For the moment, skip the for loop and more complicated code.  What does the
> following return when entered on the Octave command line?
>
> mod (5,5)
> mod (6,5)
> mod (7,5)
>
> It should be 0, 1, and 2 respectively.  If it isn't then there is something
> wrong with the installation as Dmitri suggested.
>
> --Rik

Everything works the way it should.
octave> mod(5,5)
ans = 0
octave> mod(6,5)
ans =  1
octave> mod(7,5)
ans =  2
octave> mod(5,5) == 1
ans = 0
octave> mod(6,5) == 1
ans = 1
octave> mod(7,5) == 1
ans = 0

Now I’ll just enter the loop code:
octave> for i = 1 : 11
>  fprintf('%4d', i);
>  if mod(i, 5) == 1; fprintf('\n'); end
> end
   1
   2   3   4   5   6
   7   8   9  10  11

Very strange! Now everything works the way it should. There must be gremlins in
my computer! And my original code that inspired all this works correctly as
well. Apparently I just needed to restart Octave or the computer.

Regards,

Vic