Re: Octave Code Sharing

From: Sahil
Subject: Re: Octave Code Sharing
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:28:26 -0700 (MST)

siko1056 wrote
> Dear Sahil,
>
> Thank you for your interest.  I do not think, that it is a good idea to
> switch over to a project with a mentor right at the deadline, just because
> what really bothers you (GUI property inspector) has none.  Maybe it is a
> lesson for us not to list projects without any mentor from the very
> beginning [1].  It is not likely, that you'll find one for the GUI
> property
> inspector here the next few hours.
>
> Regarding the project I figured out last year was to "misuse" the
> possibilities of MediaWiki to easily store Octave functions and scripts
> (including MediaWiki's version control and nice builtin code presentation)
> by using "publish" and "grabcode" from GNU Octave to
> https://wiki.octave.org.
>
> The major work of this project was to "teach" Octave the RESTful web
> service
> functions [2] (especially cookies using libcurl or alike).  The syntax
> highlighting etc. is already included into GNU Octave and the MediaWiki
> part.  There is NO need to establish a new website (e.g. Agora)  Due to
> the
> lack of interest I felt also demotivated to update the project outline
> recently.
>
> What I see is that you really tried to get involved with Octave since a
> few
> months, but as our direct contact starts right at the GSoC deadline, I do
> not feel very encouraged to start this project this year with you.  Do you
> have other alternatives at other projects as well?
>
> Best,
> Kai
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas&diff=prev&oldid=10604
> [2] https://github.com/octave-de/octave-web
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html

Hi Kai,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I totally understand your concern regarding the
issue that it is generally not very convincing to select someone for GSoC
without him working on a project.

However, I would also like to share a bit about my side of the story. I have
been fairly new to the open source world and December was the time I started
working on GNU Octave, with GNU Octave being my first organization. The
project I earlier chose, I had no idea will not have a mentor. It is not
that if given some other project, I will do it with less interest, but it is
that after months of hard work, I cannot imagine not being able to
contribute to the organisation I have been contributing to from the past
three months consistently, be it tracing down the bug or reading various
documentation and standards or helping people with doubts within my reach.

Being a pre-final year student and knowing the kind of work GNU octave deals
with, I am confident that I can contribute to the organization the next year
as well wholeheartedly. My priority in a particular projects matters much
less to me than being able to contribute to the organisation as a whole, at
the same time participating in GSoC.

For the project which you are mentoring, I would be obliged if you can have
a look at the contributions I have made for the organization and then decide
whether I can be a viable option for the project. Moreover, if you can just
give a thought, there's almost one month in final announcement of the
selection, until then you may judge me on how I perform on your task by
assigning me some work related to the same.

Again as I said, my priority lies in contributing to the organisation, and
it will be very disheartening to know that I was not selected just because
the project I chose had no mentor even after working so hard. I would
request you, and other mentors/admins of the organisation if they are
reading this, that it would be very helpful if we could find a solution to
this issue.

As for the question that you asked, I DO NOT have any other alternatives
because I've only contributed to Octave over the past few months.

Please do not think of this as something rebellious reply, I am completely
getting your point. This was just my point of view for the situation.

Warm Regards
Sahil