Re: linear-algebra 2.2.2 released

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: linear-algebra 2.2.2 released
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 19:04:52 +0200

<maintainers ML cc'd>

Clemens Buchacher wrote:
On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Yep that is called 'progress". It's inevitable :-)

    So for Octave-3.8.2 you 'll have to make do with linear-algebra-2.2.1.

We now have a latest release of Octave and a latest release of
linear-algebra which are incompatible by design.

Pardon me?

lin.alg. 2.2.2 is made for Octave-4.0.0. The latter has been delayed a bit, much like your reply (as my post dates back > 3 weeks); can happen.

Compared to 2.2.1 there's just one minor difference; the rest is adaptation to different inputParser class code in Octave 4.0.0.

You have to compile
Octave from source to use it, but then I wonder if I am going to compile
Octave from source, why would I care about a release for the
linear-algebra package, which I can also compile from source?

That is the beauty of Open Source Software. If you do not like it or do not like what the developers do, you do not have to follow but can opt to go your own way. No need to get excited.

So, this release benefits no-one and hurts basically every user of the
linear-algebra package.

OK, I respect your opinion, but I beg to differ.
linear-algebra-2.2.2 undergoes testing since early April in MXE-octave binaries where it has been included - 2.2.1 wouldn't work completely in the 4.0.0 release candidates, would it.

BTW, please next time do not forget to include the maintainers ML.

Philip