Re: Deprecated functions in liboctave

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Deprecated functions in liboctave
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:47:01 +0000

On 10 November 2014 16:19, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/10/2014 01:10 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been trying to do some changes in liboctave and noticed a series of
>> deprecated methods and classes. Checking the logs, some have been deprecated
>> for a long time now which I am listing below. There's a few more not listed
>> because they were only deprecated some 3 years ago.
>>
>> If no one opposes to it, I will remove them later this week.
>>
>> Carnë
>>
>> Before April 2008:
>>
>> * numeric/lo-mappers.h (octave_is_NaN_or_NA (double))
>> * numeric/lo-mappers.h (octave_is_NaN_or_NA (float))
>> * util/lo-ieee.h (__lo_ieee_float_is_NaN_or_NA (float))
>> * util/lo-ieee.h (__lo_ieee_float_is_NaN_or_NA (double))
>>
>> October 2009:
>>
>> * liboctave/ArrayN.h
>>
>> January 2010:
>>
>> * liboctave/MArrayN.h
>> * liboctave/Array.h (Array::chop_trailing_singletons)
>> * liboctave/dim-vector.h (dim_vector::dim_vector (octave_idx_type))
>> * liboctave/Array.h (Array::Array (octave_idx_type)
>>
>> February 2010:
>>
>> * liboctave/Array2.h
>> * liboctave/MArray2.h
>>
>> January 2011:
>>
>> * liboctave/Array3.h
>> * liboctave/Array.h (Array::Array (octave_idx_type, T&)
>> * liboctave/MArray.h (MArray::MArray (octave_idx_type, T&)
>
> Cleanup is a good thing.  As long as the GCC_ATTR_DEPRECATED attribute has
> been in place for two release cycles then I think this is a fine idea.

It certainly has.  We have the functions for the octave interpreter on the
NEWS file so it's easy to remember to remove them.  We don't really treat
liboctave that way though, so we just forget about them.

Should we have a separate NEWS file for users of liboctave?  Not so we
remember when things were added and deprecated but to be informative for
other developers which may want to use it.

Carnë