Re: Default PATH for executing external programs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Default PATH for executing external programs
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 16:12:37 -0500

On 11/07/2014 06:31 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

First off, I think the whole issue is primarily a Windows one. I have never
encountered it on my Linux systems.

It is a problem if you have multiple versions of Octave installed and at least one version is in your PATH. Then if you execute one of the others (not first in the PATH) the pkg command will execute Make and any package Makefile that uses "mkoctfile" will get the mkoctfile that corresponds to the copy of Octave that is first in the PATH instead of the one that corresponds to the one currently running. That will cause trouble because mkoctfile has things like the location of Octave header files and libraries embedded in it. Those things are obviously specific to a particular version.