Re: Implementing loadlibrary function in Octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Implementing loadlibrary function in Octave
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:08:05 -0500

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Reza Housseini <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
Do you really want to base your work on an unmaintained library? Moreover, libffi is already used by llvm, so it doesn't add yet another dependency to octave.

True, but then this library is so old that there will not change a lot with and without a maintainer.

And if there's a bug, it's never gonna be fixed. And there will never be support for newer platforms. I didn't compare the interfaces, I'm just being pragmatic:
1) ffcall is unmaintained and didn't see a code change for more than 3 years (according to CVS repo)
2) libffi seems to be a de-facto standard library, is well maintained and is being used by loads of projects requiring FFI

Based on these considerations, libffi looks to me like a better long-term solution. Does ffcall really provides functionalities that are not found in libffi? If so, maybe it would be worth reporting the issue to the libffi maintainers and get those implemented in libffi.

Michael.