Re: Missing translation strings

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Missing translation strings
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 23:27:40 +0100

Rik wrote:
On 11/18/2013 01:43 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Message: 5
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 13:04:50 -0800 (PST)
From: PhilipNienhuis<address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Phrases missing and mismatched phrases in translation files

When using the Dutch translation with yesterday's build I saw that there are
quite a few English phrases that are not translated; even though I have
reminiscences that I added those translations.

So I downloaded nl_NL.ts from Savannah and searched for the exact
(not-translated) English phrases I see in the Octave GUI- but they weren't
there (according to Notepad++'s search facility). Same for e.g., e_DE.ts.

Some examples from the Preferences | editor tab:

- "Show whitespace" (hmm I see that it is spelled "white space" in nl_NL.ts
and de_DE.ts)

- # of characters typed before completion list displayed (word "completion"
nowhere to be found)

- "Create nonexistent files without prompting" (spelled "non existing" in
nl_NL.ts and de_DE.ts)

What happened to those language files? How can they be fixed w/o completely
re-translating them?
Philip,

There is usually a utility that needs to be run which examines and extracts
all the strings from the source code and then examines the .ts file and
updates line numbers, etc.  It does a merge which means new strings are
added and existing ones are not destroyed.  Because we haven't done a
string freeze, that utility hasn't been run which means the source code
strings are newer than the ones in the .ts file.  But, I just see that
Torsten has checked in a changeset to update the strings
(http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/e036b96133ec) so everything
should be fine now.

Had I better wait until the string freeze, or start updating the translation now?
I'd opt for the former to be on the safe side.

It isn't much work (maybe 1 or 2 hours) but to have to repeat it is suboptimal.

Philip