Re: Error using plot in octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Error using plot in octave
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:10:02 -0400

On May 27, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Thirunavukkarasu wrote:

> On Friday 27 May 2011 12:56 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> On May 26, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Thirunavukkarasu wrote:
>>
>>> I am a newbie to Linux and using Ubuntu 11.04
>>>

>>> When I was using octave for simple plotting
>>>
>>> x=[0:pi/32/10*pi]';
>>> y=sin(x);
>>> plot(x,y)
>>>
>>> Following error occurred when I used plot command
>>>
>>> panic: Illegal instruction -- stopping myself...
>>> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
>>> save to `octave-core' complete
>>> GNU Octave, version 3.2.4
>>> Copyright (C) 2009 John W. Eaton and others.
>>> This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
>>> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
>>> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. For details, type `warranty'.
>>> Octave was configured for "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
>>> Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
>>> Please contribute if you find this software useful.
>>> For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
>>> Report bugs to<address@hidden>  (but first, please read
>>> http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).
>>> For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.
>>>

>>> I request you to sort out this issue.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Arasu
>> After a fresh start, does "plot(0,0)" cause a crash?
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Yes, Octave crash after a fresh start with command plot(0,0);
>
> regards,
> Thirunavukkarasu

This looks like an Ubuntu problem to me. Unfortunately, I don't know where to

Just a guess,but any chance you upgraded Ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04, but
haven't updated your installed packages?

(1) System -> Administration -> Update Manager
(2) Click [Check]
(3) Click [Install Packages]

Ben