gnulib install hang

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: gnulib install hang
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:08:27 -0500

On 14-Feb-2011, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

| Does any one else have this problem?  Since late last week I get a hang
| when autogen.sh is trying to download gnulib.  Suggestions?
|
| [godfrey-pbdsl4:octave] ./autogen.sh
| generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
| generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
| generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
| bootstrapping...
| ./bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
| ./bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
| Cloning into gnulib...

This is also failing for me.

To debug, I edited the autogen.sh script to run bootstrap with
"/bin/sh -xv" so I could find exactly what was hanging.  It stopped at
the command

  git clone --depth 2 git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib gnulib

I don't know why it is hanging, but omitting the "--depth 2" argument
allows it to work for me.

The quick workaround is to just run

  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/gnulib gnulib

in your top-level Octave source directory, then run the ./autogen.sh
script.