Re: looking ahead to 3.6

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: looking ahead to 3.6
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:47:03 +0000

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I already wrote one, that is part of OctaveDE. It's far from fully featured,
>> but it's working fine. It's also asynchronous, the event loop runs in its
>> own thread. This has a bunch of consequences in term of communication
>> between the backend and octave, but the UI is far more responsive than
>> running the event loop synchronously.
>>
>> Michael.
>

> Michael,
> I think we still need to make the switch from gtkglarea to gtkglext, as I am
> pretty sure that gtkglarea isn't supported anymore and gtkglext is the
> recommended solution.  I made an attempt once, but couldn't get it to work.
> We also need to find a way to let things in DLD-FUNCTIONS have more than one
> file.  I really don't want to try and cram the entire GTK backend into a
> single file.

Moving from gtkglarea to gtkglext shouldn't be a big deal. But
whatever the module
used, last time I tried (a few months ago), I had severe problems
using GTK+ with
OpenGL. If you want the full story, please have a look at
http://lists-archives.org/gtk-devel/11800-gdk_native_windows-not-working-under-windows.html
the various links given and the single answer received. To say the
least, GTK+ developers
didn't seem highly interested in having good OpenGL support, at least
under Windows...

I can still make it work for me by using GTK+ <= 2.16, but that's not
really a long-term
solution, unfortunately.

Michael.