Re: Outerposition Patch

From: Konstantinos Poulios
Subject: Re: Outerposition Patch
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:59:45 +0100

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:25 AM, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Le 10 févr. 2011 à 00:25, logari81 <address@hidden> a écrit :
>

>> thank you for this information.
>>
>> It seems that the previously attached patch causes problems only with
>> legends. However, in order to treat legends correctly I need to
>> understand their logic. How do legends exploit the outerposition and
>> position properties? Is anyone familiar with legend.m to give me a short
>> introduction?
>>
>> Best regards
>>

> You shouldn't try to understand the logic of legend's use of the position and
> outerposition properties. It's just a hack that worked with the existing
> behavior. If your patch doesn't work well with legend it is probably legend
> that needs to be fixed
>
> D.

The attached patch replaces the previous one and implements the
calculation of both position and outerposition depending on the value
of activepositionproperty.

It is not very well tested yet, so there will probably be some issues,
e.g. legends will not work, but it brings a feature that maybe is
awesome. It is something that Matlab cannot do and maybe you like it.
See the following video:

http://ubuntuone.com/p/cYM/

The position property is calculated dynamically while you rotate the
view, so that all labels fit in outerposition. I think it works quite
well in order to keep it. What do you think?

As this operation involves certain computational overhead, it would be
interesting to get some tests on older machines. Unfortunately all
pc's that I have access to, are too fast.

This patch also fixes http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31610 for the fltk toolkit.

Finally, if we adopt the attached patch we have to adapt legend.m also.

BR

Kostas