Re: 2 problems with 3.3.92

From: Rik
Subject: Re: 2 problems with 3.3.92
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 09:13:27 -0800

marco atzeri wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM, John W. Eaton  wrote:
>> On  7-Feb-2011, marco atzeri wrote:
>>
>> | Please note that cygwin build system runs autoreconf on source tree
>> | before the configure step in the build tree.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Without "autoreconf --force -i"
> 90% of the packages don't build on cygwin due to libtool specific
> requirements,
> so a drastic approach was chosen.
>
> With only configure and make, octave build stops here
>
> Creating library file:
> DLD-FUNCTIONS/.libs/__contourc__.dll.a../libcruft/.libs/libranlib.a(advnst.o):advnst.f:(.text+0
> x4b): undefined reference to `__gfortran_st_write'
> ../libcruft/.libs/libranlib.a(advnst.o):advnst.f:(.text+0x63):
> undefined reference to `__gfortran_transfer_character'
>
>> I tried building with
>>
>>  tar zxf octave-3.3.92.tar.gz
>>  cd octave-3.3.92
>>  autoreconf
>>  cd ..
>>  mkdir build
>>  cd build
>>  ../octave-3.3.92/configure --prefix=/usr
>>  make
>>
>> and the documentation was not rebuilt.
>>
>> If this is not working properly for you, then I think you'll have to
>> do some debugging on your own to find out why it is failing on your
>> system.
>
> Here with "autoreconf --force -i"   the documentation is rebuilt (only
> the octave one).
> As it seems a cygwin only issue, I will look for a root cause or a workaround.
>
> As rebuilding every time the documentation is really a waste of time ,
> I need it anyway.
99% of users on Cygwin are going to install it as a package rather than
build it from source, correct?  If this is the case then this is only an
issue for the maintainers of the Octave project who build the packages.
Does the workaround of building in the src tree work?  If so I'd call that
good enough rather than trying to debug this.  Separating src and build
directories, for example, is often hard to get to work even on UNIX
machines.  (Although the Octave project is doing pretty well since it's
full transition to automake)

--Rik