Re: gcc and C++0x on Mac OS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: gcc and C++0x on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 00:15:48 +0800

On Oct 26, 2010, at 11:52 PM, John Swensen wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2010, at 10:47 AM, John Swensen wrote:
>
>> On Oct 26, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a little worried about this. Apple is quite clearly trying to move
>>> away from gcc. They stopped using gcc when it became GPLv3 and are
>>> pouring all of their efforts in clang instead. I would like to be able
>>> to start using C++0x constructs in Octave, but this is going to be
>>> impossible with gcc on Mac OS X if you can't update it.
>>>
>>> Is this an actual concern, or am I worried over nothing? How backwards
>>> compatible should Octave's code remain? C++0x will mostly likely be
>>> finalised by 2012, by the estimates I've seen, and gcc already
>>> implements much of it. By contrast, clang is way behind. Many C++0x
>>> features could clean up Octave code. Will we be able to use them?
>>>
>>> - Jordi G. H.
>>
>> My recent compilations have all been using the GCC 4.4.5 as provide by
>> MacPorts.  The only dependency I have to compile on my own is FLTK, as the
>> NO_X11 variant f or MacPorts doesn't provide a OpenGL capable compilation of
>> FLTK.

John have you tried to put together a local port file for FLTK-aqua?

Fink has one available. The fltk-aqua.info file  and patch are below and may be
helpful in creating a port file

http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/fink/dists/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/libs/fltk-aqua.info?view=markup

http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/fink/dists/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/libs/fltk-aqua.patch?view=markup

Ironically, Fink does not have an X11 variant.

Ben