Re: __gnuplot_set__ fails as function call 2.9.1

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: __gnuplot_set__ fails as function call 2.9.1
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:51:09 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
Perhaps we should also eliminate __gnuplot_plot__ and
__gnuplot_splot__ and only have a function to send commands to the
gnuplot stream.  Then we can eliminate the (always doomed to be broken
in some way or another) parser.  That would mean that you would have
to write out the data files yourself:

  x = (-10:0.01:10)';
  data = [x, sin(x)];

  [fid, name] = mkstemp (sprintf ("%s/XXXXXX", P_tmpdir), 1);
  fprintf (fid, "%f %f\n", data');
  fclose (fid);

(though we might want to provide some convenience functions for the
common types of files).

then issue commands like

  gnuplot (sprintf ("plot \"%s\" using 1:2\n", name));

Of course, if you want to do something simple like this, you should be
using "plot" instead, and then these details would be hidden from you
and your scripts would continue to work even if Octave's default
plotting engine changes to something other than gnuplot.

Comments?

Could you please clarify the big picture on this? My understanding was that instead of having a plotting device at the core of Octave, it would be moved to the "__plot__", etc. m-scripts. There there could be any plotting utility. So what this would require is a unique set of m-scripts for, say, gnuplot commands. In those scripts would be a way to launch gnuplot and do the things you mention above.

I assume there will be other types of graphics packages put together this way.

But how then does someone indicate their selection of which plotting utility to use? Is this something selected when installing?

How does one close gnuplot if it is launched from a plotting m file? Is there to be some hook into Octave that can call a command upon exit, just like .octaverc?

Dan