nufw-devel

[Nufw-devel] Possible collaboration

From: John A. Sullivan III
Subject: [Nufw-devel] Possible collaboration
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:14:04 -0400

        I find your project very interesting and wonder if there might not be
some wonderful opportunities for collaboration with our project
(http://iscs.sourceforge.net).  Our goal in ISCS is to create a GPL
project to rival the best security managers from SmartPipes, SolSoft,
Cisco, Netscreen, etc.  We have been preparing for four years.
        Our work is rooted in practical experience.  We are not a software
development company but rather an IT Service Provider.  We use the
technology to deliver our services to our clients and not to sell as a
separate product.  We find the proprietary product we currently use to
be far more efficient than anything the biggest players have - hence our
turning to the Open Source community to make a sustainable product to
replace this dead product we have used for the last five years.
        We believe the security management paradigm it uses to be quite
stunning.  It is a true policy server and not a glorified rule creator.
An important part of this product is user authentication.  We have been
creating tunnels and regulating access control to those tunnels based
upon user ID of various forms for almost five years.  However, this
phase of the project has been deferred to version 2.0 (except for X.509
identification).  Our priority was creating the management interface to
define Access Groups, Resource Groups, Access Policies and Tunnel
creation.  It would be fabulous if we could accelerate the
implementation of sophisticated user authentication by cooperating with
your work.  Perhaps we could even help accelerate your project by
sharing our management interface ideas.
        If you'd like to see our current production product, I can easily
arrange a demonstration of our test labs via the Internet.  Please let
me know if you are interested - John Sullivan
--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer