nss-mysql-users

Re: [Nss-mysql-users] behavior under load

From: Dale Blount
Subject: Re: [Nss-mysql-users] behavior under load
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:31:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- Guillaume Morin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dans un message du 05 Jun à 13:48, Dale Blount écrivait :
> > Under heavy load, it seems that nss-mysql reports that user's don't
> > exist at times.  I can't really tell the cause of it, but when i
> turn
> > on
>
> Have you noticed any mysql related errors in the logs ?
>
> > I also noticed that /var/log/maillog contains entries that should
> be
> > marked postfix, not nss-mysql
> >
> > Jun  5 16:34:44 server nss-mysql[28711]: lost connection after RCPT
> > from unknown[x.x.x.x]
> > Jun  5 16:34:44 server nss-mysql[28711]: disconnect from
> > unknown[x.x.x.x]
> >
> > Not just these messages, but most of them during the time when i
> have
> > the above option turned on.  SHOW STATUS in mysql shows 118 max
> > connections to date, max_connections is set to 500.
>

> This is an issue with the logging function. We have to call openlog
> put the error message in the auth log. This is harmless anyway, I'll
> try
> to find a workaround. The best thing to do would be to create a
> nss-mysql log file anyway.

This was no biggie, just odd how it only happened when I enabled
local_recipient_maps

> 118 connections is a lot. Which version are you running ?

It has hit 240 now, (now that the requests are actually getting
handled).  This is on a mailserver that does some several hundred megs
of email per day.  Running mysql version 3.23.47 with binary log
enabled.

> > Just curious if there's a way to debug without loosing too much
> mail.
>
> Well, hard to say. You should read your logs carefully to see if
> there
> is any nss-mysql errors and post them here.
>
> Do you use nscd ?

Just between this email and your last one I found the problem.  I
changed the hostname to the IP address, and everything works great.
There were errors in the logs, but they were getting separated to a
localX log because of some previous software. I should probably use
nscd :)

Thanks for your help once again Guillaume.

> --
> Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>
>
>    I'm unclean, a libertine, every time you vent your spleen, I seem
> to lose
>     the power of speech, you're slipping slowly from my reach, you
> grow me
>         like an evergreen, you've never seen me lonely at all.
(Placebo)