Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Unsupported nroff macros on MacOS X
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 08:29:54 +0300

Ken,

> I will admit that my roff-fu is not very good, but I took a look at this.
> It seems this is a common idiom for nmh man pages.  Specifically (this
> is from packf(1) but it's similar everywhere else):

any roff-fu i had expired at my last birthday.

i've recently switched to use asciidoc, which seems to support tables
----
https://docs.asciidoctor.org/asciidoc/latest/tables/build-a-basic-table/
----

i convert to man using a configuration file (asciidoc.conf) from Eli
Schwartz:
----
https://github.com/eli-schwartz/aurpublish/blob/master/doc/asciidoc.conf
----

my makefile rule:
----
./%: %.asciidoc asciidoc.conf
        ${A2X} --no-xmllint --asciidoc-opts="-f asciidoc.conf" -d manpage -f
manpage $<
----

(i'm sure all this could be improved.)

converting to asciidoc been liberating, though i'm sure, like any of
these "lightweight markup languages", defeats attempts at fine-tuning
(which, itself, can be very liberating :).

cheers, Greg