nmh 1.8 -- repeated Welcome message unless there is a context change

From: bergman
Subject: nmh 1.8 -- repeated Welcome message unless there is a context change
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 13:48:15 -0500

Many thanks for the new release -- it's great to see such dedication.

In my environment, I set $MHCONTEXT dynamically at login, so that I can
have different contexts for different sessions (ie., GUI desktop, ssh,
tty login) on the same machine, via:

        export MHCONTEXT=~/Mail/.mhcontext-`tty|sed -e "s,.dev.,," -e "s,/,.,"`

I see that nmh commands are reading the $MHCONTEXT file, parsing the line
"Version: nmh-1.7.1" and printing the Welcome message, but not updating
the file unless there is a context change:

        [bergman@rocoto ~]$
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ echo $MHCONTEXT
        /home/bergman/Mail/.mhcontext-pts.0
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ cat $MHCONTEXT
        Current-Folder: Work
        Version: nmh-1.7.1
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ inc

        This message will not be repeated until nmh is next updated.

        Press enter to continue:

        inc: no mail to incorporate
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ cat $MHCONTEXT
        Current-Folder: Work
        Version: nmh-1.7.1
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ inc
        Welcome to nmh version 1.8
   {SNIP!}
        Press enter to continue:

        inc: no mail to incorporate
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ folder +Work
        Welcome to nmh version 1.8
   {SNIP!}
        Press enter to continue:

        Work+ has no messages       ;        (others).
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ inc
        inc: no mail to incorporate
        [bergman@rocoto ~]$ cat $MHCONTEXT
        Current-Folder: Work
        Version: nmh-1.8

--
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, SCUBA Diver, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1
Stagehand