Surprising MIME Type from Android.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Surprising MIME Type from Android.
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:51:51 +0100

Hi,

I ran mhstore(1) and was surprised by the ‘81081.2.*’ filename.

    $ mhlist -nov p=1
     msg part  type/subtype              size description
    81081       multipart/mixed          4036K
         1     multipart/alternative     3143
         1.1   text/html                 1327
         1.2   text/plain                 780
         2     image/*                  2985K
    $

I haven't checked yet, but I assume it violates the RFCs.

(Note also how it's assumes the ‘msg’ column only needs four digits.)

The relevant part of the email:

    ----_com.samsung.android.email_135816585189000
     size=2985255

The JPEG contains

    exif:Model: SM-G960F

which suggests a Samsung Galaxy S9 took the photo but that doesn't meant
it was the Android which sent the email.

On a related note, I've been putting lines like

mhshow-show-application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document:
    %lfile '%f' | \>

mhshow-show-application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet:
    %lfile '%f' | \>

into ~/.mh_profile and was thinking it would be nice to have fall-backs
like

    mhshow-show-application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.*:
    mhshow-show-application/vnd.*:
    mhshow-show-application/*:
    mhshow-show-app*:
    mhshow-show-*:

where the last character can be ‘*’ to indicate a prefix match of the
type or subtype.  If used for the type then the subtype can't be given.
I thought this would be a backwards-compatible extension due to ‘*’ not
being valid in a MIME type.  :-)