Re: Bug: repl breaks urls

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: Bug: repl breaks urls
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:38:59 -0800

Philipp wrote:

> repl will break urls with the format switch, depending on the size of
> your terminal. A test case is attached. To reproduce run the test in a
> terminal with less then 300 chars width.

Thank you for your bug report.  I don't believe that your test has
identified a bug, or that your test should be added to the nmh test
suite, for the following reasons.

1. Breaking the text string is correct because the input file does
   not contain any indication that it should not be broken.  You
   refer to the text string as a URL, but nothing in the message
   identifies it as such.  It is a string that resembles a URL, but
   it might or might not be interpreted as one.

2. If that were to be rememdied, repl -format is not the only, or
   even recommeded, way to reply to a MIME message.

3. repl -format behaves as documented in this test.