Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address

From: Valdis Klētnieks
Subject: Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 05:48:52 -0400

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:01:12 +0100, Ralph Corderoy said:

> What produces the draft when you repl(1) to Ken's, as is the faulty QP
> visible to you at the start of the edit?

It's displaying correctly inside exmh, but bad in the fcc: to outbox.

> > But linemode 'show' displays it correctly as well. Why did *that* work
> > here but you report
> >
> > > it doesn't display correctly here when decoded, e.g. the un-QP'd =AF
> > > isn't valid UTF=8.
>
> What's the output of ‘locale’ in that terminal window where show(1)
> displays the macrons for =AF?  U+00AF and 0xaf in iso-8859-1 are both
> macrons so is your terminal emulator trying to be ‘helpful’ and hiding
> the illegal encoding by falling back to ISO�8859-1 rather than showing a
> substitution character?  What's the emulator?  Has it any UTF-8
> configuration?  How does the email show in ‘xterm -lc’?

It's urxvt, which I'm using specifically because it does UTF-8, and
does a number of things (like being able to change the background
from inside a bash PS1 string) that gnome-terminal doesn't do.

05:29:35 127 [~] locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

And xterm does pick up on the broken characters, so apparently
urxvt was doing a clean-up of the broken characters.