Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Bug reported regarding Unicode handling in email address
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:31:15 +0100

Hi kre,

> If the draft contained Content-Type, right from the beginning (either
> auto set as part of repl or comp processing, or manually inserted),
> then we wouldn't need to be guessing what charset it was using, would
> we?

Yes, we would need to guess because the Content-Type only describes the
content part following the fields but we need to know the encoding to
read the fields themselves, e.g. non-ASCII runes in email addresses.

But we shouldn't guess, we should use the user's locale to build a
draft, e.g. for repl(1), so the user's locale-aware editor is happy, and
to parse the draft, whether nmh built it or something else.

> > So my thinking is the spool-file's writer will either be something
> > like Postfix which declares support for SMTPUTF8, is handed UTF-8,
> > and AFAICS stores it verbatim,
>
> On my system the spool file is written by /usr/libexec/mail.local
> (which would be invoked by postfix if I used that) but can also be run
> from anything.
>
> While the most common practice is to get to it via the system's MTA,
> it also gets invoked by other things, and will write whatever messages
> they hand it (doing no processing other than inserting the mail spool
> "From ..." separator line and '>' quoting a leading "From " on any
> other line).

Then I think my point stands and it's just the responsibility passes
upstream of the near-transparent file-locking mail.local, whether that's
Postfix or not.