Re: displaying Date using local timezone

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: displaying Date using local timezone
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:38:11 -0400

>Oh, sure.  I guess I was thinking of a more robust solution, that
>wouldn't require editing that line when my timezone changes twice a
>year.  :-)

Boy, EVERYONE's a critic :-)

You could use the %(dst) function to do the appropriate branching;
you might need to duplicate a fair amount of the format instructions,
though.  But ... maybe not.

%<(dst{text})%(void(zone{text}))%(void(ne -300))%|%(void(zone{text}))%(void(ne
-240))%>

I mean, substitute the correct values for -300 and -240.  I think that
should set num to 1 or 0 depending if the timezone is equivalent to your
local timezone, and then you can go from there.

I think ... aside from that, we'd need a new format instruction that
tests if a particular timestamp is in your local timezone.  Related
question: HOW do we determine that?  I guess what nmh does is
conver the time to a time_t, and then calls localtime() on it.  If
the timezone offsets don't match, then it's not local.

I understand what you're trying to do; but it's kind of limiting with the
format language since you only have two variables and comparisons have
to be done against literal values.