Re: address@hidden: in ~/.mh_profile side effect -- "from:" aliases no l

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: address@hidden: in ~/.mh_profile side effect -- "from:" aliases no longer expanded by send
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 10:13:47 -0400

Tom R wrote:

> If I put a line like:
>
>     sendfrom-examplefoo@gmail.com: -server smtp.gmail.com -user
> examplefoo@gmail.com -port 587 -tls -sasl -nomime -msgid -verbose -snoop
>
> into ~/.mh_profile, it works as intended, but then
>
>     send  ~/Mail/drafts/1807                # where 1807 has an alias in the
> from field
>
> fails with the msg:
>
>     send: unable to find sender host /a/moobt/Mail/drafts/1809: Success

Yeah, that's ugly.  The problem is that post(8) expands aliases, but sendfrom
looks at From: before handing off to post.  Is there a better fix than amending
the sendfrom documentation to say that it doesn't support a From: that contains
an alias?

I had noticed recently that post expands aliases and was going to ask about it.
 Seems that send(1) would be a better place though I don't think we want to
change that now.  post does some other things, too, such as filing FCC's, that
might fit better into send if we were to start from a blank slate.

Ken, IIRC you use a postproc.  Does it replace post or still call it?