Re: Is nmh suitable for managing multiple email accounts?

From: Michael Richardson
Subject: Re: Is nmh suitable for managing multiple email accounts?
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 14:04:18 -0500

Tim Lee <progscriptclone@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Yes, that is correct.

    >> I've been an MH user going on 33yrs.

    > I'm curious: what did people commonly use for reading mail when MH was
    > just invented? Was it the Unix "mail" program?

So, the complexity of multiple accounts has nothing to do with incoming
email.  The complexity is that since SPF records ~15 years ago, it now
important that you send email via the correct MTA.
Incoming email from multiple accounts is either run inc multiple times, or
use fetchmail, or set up .forward files (least disreable now due to spam
filters).

Prior to that, you just used your local SMTP relay.
You put whatever made sense into the From: via some mechanism, and SMTP just
coped.
(I've done this via replcomps at some point, where I picked the From to
always be whomever was involved.  If I was emailing joe@example.com, and I
was also mcr@example.com, then I'd use that.  At some point, I think it
broke, and I never debugged it)

But that doesn't work anymore unless you control the DNS for all zones in
question, and can set up SPF correctly.  (Mostly, that actually does apply to
me)

I'm sure that there is a way to configure postfix (or maybe exim) to punt to
different submit ports based upon From: value, but probably the best way is
to just use different nmh configurations.

    > I understand that this ensures that the accounts stay separate, but
    > managing multiple user accounts is not exactly light work. I guess the
    > use of separate UNIX accounts may be appropriate for particular use
    > cases, but I do not need such a strict separation at the moment.

I think it's probably excessive, given the desire to be able to do things
like click on links and have them open via X-windows in your browser.

I use mh-e.el, with Emacs, and I have a series of identies that I can pick
with the mouse, but mostly, I do via M-x ietf,or M-x credil, etc.
Happy to share all of that.