Re: To: mail-alias-here ( my comment here )

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: To: mail-alias-here ( my comment here )
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 10:37:58 -0400

>    To: some-ali-alias-here ( a comment here )
>
>Then '( a comment here )' does not make it into my sent folder copy.

I am GUESSING (without looking at things) that the comment is silently
being eaten since the whole address is being replaced by the alias.  At
this time I lack the energy to look at this more deeply.

>I'm experimenting with these comments now, my hunch is that may be useful,
>but I can not defend that position now. :->

Well, it depends what you mean by "useful".  Like, other people will be
able to extract useful information from it?

My gut feeling is as follows:

- Nearly all MUAs have gone to putting the "name" first.  This is called
  the "display-name" in RFC-parlance, and the "pers" in mh-format.  The
  trailing comment is called a "note" in mh-format.  If you have both
  a display-name and a trailing comment, %(friendly) returns the
  display-name.  I believe most MUAs do this.

- Officially, the "comment" (stuff inside of parenthesis) can appear in
  a lot of places.

- RFC 5322 says this:

      Note: Some legacy implementations used the simple form where the
      addr-spec appears without the angle brackets, but included the
      name of the recipient in parentheses as a comment following the
      addr-spec.  Since the meaning of the information in a comment is
      unspecified, implementations SHOULD use the full name-addr form of
      the mailbox, instead of the legacy form, to specify the display
      name associated with a mailbox.  Also, because some legacy
      implementations interpret the comment, comments generally SHOULD
      NOT be used in address fields to avoid confusing such
      implementations.

Note that it says the MEANING of the comment is unspecified.