Re: I'm confused

From: norm
Subject: Re: I'm confused
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 07:07:23 -0800

Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> writes:
>Hi Norm,

>> >=20
>> > Try it again.  You should have an email from me waiting.
>> > Tell us what inc reports this next time.
>>
>> It yielded:
>>
>> inc: no mail to incorporate
>
>That's odd.  You're used to fetchmail and it's worked for you in the
>past.  How about you try that?  In your /root/.fetchmailrc you can add
>Gmail with this at the end, changing ‘foobar’:
>
>skip gmail via pop.gmail.com proto imap
>user "address@hidden" is norm
>password "foobar" ssl
>
>The ‘skip’ instead of ‘poll’ means that the account won't be accessed
>by
>fetchmail unless it's explicitly named.  This means your existing run
>of fetchmail will just continue with imap.rawbw.com and not Gmail.
>
>To then test retrieval from Gmail, run
>
>fetchmail -f /root/.fetchmailrc -a gmail
>
>The ‘-a’ means to fetch all emails, including those that Gmail thinks
>have been ‘seen’.  It might be useful just for this test.
>
>--
>Cheers, Ralph.

When I do that I get:

fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
Enter password for root@gmail:
fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of gmail (gmail): Name or service
not known
fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)

Comments:

Line 1: I aways get that warning. My script ignores it.

Line 2: I don't know what is meant by "password for root@gmail".  But
no matter what I enter there, including: my password, root's password,
a nonsense string, and the gmail password, the result is the same.

When I give fetchmail a -v argument I get:

fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
Enter password for root@gmail:
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol auto) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll started
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol IMAP) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll started
fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of gmail (gmail): Name or service
not known
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol IMAP) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll completed
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol auto) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 11

    Norman Shapiro