Re: Help with Gmail

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Help with Gmail
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 15:54:50 +0000

Hi Ken,

> Norm, if you create a .netrc file I bet it will work.  If you've
> forgotten the format of a .netrc file, you want the file to contain a
> line that looks like this:
>
> machine pop.gmail.com login address@hidden password foobar

inc(1) says

    If nmh has been compiled with SASL support, the -sasl switch will
    enable the use of SASL authentication.  Depending on the SASL
    mechanism used, this may require an additional password prompt from
    the user (but the netrc file can be used to store this password, as
    described in mh-profile(5)).

mh_profile(5)'s discussion of .netrc is under the ‘credentials’ entry.

       credentials: legacy
            Indicates how the username and password credentials will be
            retrieved for access to external servers, such as those that
            provide SMTP or POP service.  The supported entry values are
            “legacy”, “file:netrc”, and “file-nopermcheck:netrc”.

So far, so good.  The paragraph continues

            With “legacy”, or if there is no credentials entry, the
            username is the first of:
            The password for SMTP services is the first of:
            The password for POP service when the -sasl switch is used
            with one of these programs is the login name on the local
            machine.

So won't that last paragraph bite Norm?  I think he might need his
.mh_profile to have

    credentials:.netrc

so .netrc is searched for in MH's path and $HOME.